Derek Kantaskas is a construction litigator who represents a diverse clientele in complex business disputes. He has wide-ranging experience counseling and representing construction clients during contract negotiation and formation, throughout a project and, if necessary, in all aspects of litigation proceedings.
Mr. Kantaskas’ experience includes resolving complex contract disputes, construction defects, project delay claims, site work disputes, lien and bond disputes, and regulatory investigations.
His clients include nationwide homebuilders, general contractors, condominium associations, developers, large project owners, subcontractors, equipment lessors, property managers, disaster remediation contractors, ethanol fabricators, steel erectors, and heavy construction companies.
Mr. Kantaskas has been selected as a “Super Lawyer” and “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers the past seven years and is a recent graduate of Leadership Tampa. He recently co-chaired the Construction Law Section for the Hillsborough County Bar Association.
General Commercial Litigation
- 15th Annual Judicial Pig Roast/Food Festival, Hillsborough County Bar Association – Awarded Most Pro Bono Hours Pledged
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers (2013-2018)
- Florida Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2011-2012)
- Florida Trend’s 2011 Legal Elite, “Up-and-Comer”
- Recipient of 2011 “One” Pro-Bono Award from the Florida Bar Foundation and the Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Lecturer, “Getting to CGL Coverage for Rip and Tear Damages in Construction Defect Claims,” ABA Forum on Construction Law, Division 7 Luncheon, Annual Meeting, Washington D.C. (April 2017).
- Co-Author, “Triggering Rip and Tear Coverage” Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Insurance Matters! Vol. 4, Issue 3 (Winter 2016).
- Co-Author, “Injury is Nearly a Fact, While Rip and Tear is No Longer a Wild Card” Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section – ActionLine Vol. XXXVII, No. 3 (Spring 2016).
- Co-Author, “The Rippin’ and the Tearin,’” Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (February 2016).
- Author, “Arbitration Jurisdiction and Unlicensed Contractors,” Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (September 2014).
- Co-Author, “Relation Back … is Back,” Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (May 2014).
- Contributing Author, “Special Considerations for Federal Construction Contracts,” Florida Construction Law and Practice, 7th Ed. (2013).
- Co-Author, “The High Hurdle to a Spoliation Claim: Is the Evidence Crucial?,” Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (October 2012).
- Co-Author, “Successfully Serving Two Masters: The Ethics of Joint Representation of Bond Sureties and Principals,” The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, Construction Law Seminar (2012).
- Co-Author, “A Snapshot of Chinese Drywall Litigation,” Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (July 2010).
- Author, “Retroactive Change to Construction Licensing Requirements,” Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (September 2009).
- Co-Author, “Rights and Liabilities of the Owner, Architect and General Contractor,” Chapter 2 & 3 in Florida Construction Law and Practice, The Florida Bar Journal, 5th Edition (2006).
- All state courts of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Construction Law Section, Co-Chair (2018-2019)
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law, Division 9 Steering Committee (2012-2019)
- Leadership Tampa (Class of 2017)
- Ferguson-White American Inn of Court Best Program Award (2010-2011)
- Board of Adjustment, City of Pinellas Park Vice Chairman (2010-2011) and Board Member (2008-2010)
- American Heart Association, Team Captain, Heart Walk (2010-2011)
- The Honorable Mel Martinez, U.S. Senate Staff Intern (2007)
- The Honorable Harry L. Anstead, Supreme Court of Florida Supreme Court Extern (2006)
- U.S. Soccer Federation Professional Referee (1994-2005)